Tags

, ,

In January, my husband published his first book.  This book was started 36 years ago, hand written on legal pads and typed by me on an Olivetti manual portable typewriter that I had been given as a high school graduation present by my parents more than a decade before.  About the time he was ready to send it off, a well known author published a book not on the same topic, but based in the same region.  Revisions were done over the next several years, allowing the famous author to come out with a new book and I again typed it on the typewriter.

In the 1980’s as home computers were just coming on the scene, we got a computer lab at the school where I was teaching and after a couple of planning periods in the lab, I was excited that I could create my classroom tests and exams on the computer, in Dos, saving the test questions for future use.  My excitement led us to buy a Tandy for home and the manuscript was again typed and saved on the larger floppy disks, many of them.  Now several decades later, with the development of Kindle, Amazon, Nook, etc. and those old floppy’s no longer readable, again I typed the first third as he decided the original manuscript was too long and he made a decision to develop the book as a trilogy.  The section was given to him to rewrite and for me to read, as I can mindlessly type and not follow the content.  My final act is to perform the editing and formatting which after several years of retirement, my Word skills are rusty.  Today I was trying to relearn how to number the pages as each page has a header.  We wanted the author’s notes to be in Roman Numerals and the body of the book in Arabic numbers and for some reason, in spite of adding section breaks, the title page and copywrite pages get numbered.  My frustration level with it at this point has caused me to quit for the night.  It took internet searches to get as far as I did and each time I deleted the numbers on those two pages, all of the numbers disappeared.  Arrrgggghhhh!

Advertisements