Two days ago, I blogged about the preparation that we go through each time a storm is expected. The preparations were completed, tub and jugs filled, dry beans cooked for chili or goulash, bread made, supplies for the dogs and chickens replenished, wood brought in to the garage. Yesterday we waited, wondering if this storm too would fizzle though the news from southeast of us was showing freezing rain and sleet, we are far enough west in Virginia that we could have only gotten a couple of inches, not the double digit snow that was predicted.
Around 2 pm yesterday, as I was kneading the bread and looking out the kitchen window that faces south, I watched as the snow came over the ridge behind us, moving toward us and it has been snowing ever since. We had gone out about noon and parked the SUV part of the way up the driveway in a parking pad away from the house. After I thought the mail had come, I drove my CRV up to the barn and parked it on a gravel pad in front of the barn and walked the rest of the way up to the mailbox. The contractor mailman drives a 2 wheel drive sedan, so he either had not come or decided our steep snow covered gravel road was not happening yesterday afternoon.
That was only an hour or so into the storm.
By the time I went out to secure the chicken coop for the night, we had about 5 inches. By bedtime after watching the Olympics it was up to 7 inches.
This morning before letting the pups out to romp, I went out with a 12 inch ruler that sank into the snow.
Same shot as Tuesday with the addition of the car and the snow.
After the snow pups had their chance, with the snow up to Shadow’s chest
they came in snow coated and worn out and I ventured over to deal with the chickens. I knew they would not come out of their coop when I opened the pop door, so today until the snow stops, they have food and water in the coop. As their keeper/feeder/protector/egg collector, they seem to think this is all my fault. The snow is mid calf on me, over my boots and I returned to the house with a cuff of packed snow inside.
We awoke to it 10ºf warmer than last night, but it is still snowing and we are expecting several more inches.
Today we will play. Tomorrow our 36th Anniversary was to be celebrated in town at a nice restaurant, but we may have to cancel our reservation and postpone it unless the plows get up our mountain. So far we still have power, so the conveniences of life are still in place.
We wanted a good snow this year and we have gotten it. Once this is gone, I’m ready for spring.